RVS Say Thanks For New Cafe

RVS Say Thanks For New Cafe

A ceremony took place recently to thank the local organisations whose generous donations have helped transform the Royal Voluntary Service (RVS) cafe at Stirling Community Hospital.

The Friends of Stirling Community Hospital, a local charity which supports a wide range of initiatives across the hospital, donated £150,000 to help the Royal Voluntary Service completely refurbish and relocate its existing café to a larger, more prominent location within the hospital. This funding was matched by NHS Forth Valley as part of a wider £2 million investment programme to upgrade the outpatient clinics and main reception areas.

The café, which has been renamed Tea & Co, attracts a huge number of visitors, patients and staff every day.

Allan Dewar, Chair of The Friends of Stirling Community Hospital, whose grandfather John Gray started The Society of Friends of Stirling Royal Infirmary in 1948, said: “The Friends of Stirling Community Hospital are delighted to contribute to such a worthwhile project which has made such a difference to patients, visitors and staff and created a much better environment for the Royal Voluntary Service volunteers.”

The Royal Voluntary Service has been providing services on the Stirling hospital site since 1968. As well as preparing and serving food and drinks, the trained, caring volunteers signpost older people to other services in their local community and bring comfort, company and compassion to customers. Their work to support healthier eating in all four RVS hospital cafes across Forth Valley has also recognised with  a Healthy Living Award plus. The award was presented at a national event at The Merchants House of Glasgow by Gary Maclean, Scotland’s National Chef.

Summer 2018 News