The Staff Governance Standard sets out what NHS Boards must do to manage and develop staff, ensure they have a positive experience as an employee and feel motivated and engaged with their job, team and organisation. It is a two way process.
NHS Boards must ensure staff are:
- Well informed
- Appropriately trained and developed
- Involved in decisions
- Treated fairly and consistently with dignity and respect, in an environment where diversity is valued
- Provided with a continuously improving and safe working environment, promoting the health and wellbeing of staff, patients and community
Keep themselves up to date with relevant changes within the organisation
- Commit to continuous personal and professional development
- Adhere to a standard set by regulatory bodies
- Take part in discussions which affect them via their trade union/professional organisation
- Treat all staff and patients with dignity and respect whilst valuing diversity
- Make sure their actions promote the health, safety and well being of staff, patients and carers
To make sure staff interests are fully represented there are a number of key groups, for example the Area Partnership Forum.